Sunday, April 5, 2009

Out of Character

Every Halloween, the company I'm employed at holds an afternoon Halloween event with fun activities where employees are asked to (optionally) where a costume.

For Halloween 2008, I originally planned to go as Balki Bartokomous from Perfect Strangers, but as Halloween approached (I procrastinated of course), I could not find a suitable vest that would help people make the connection.

So now it was the morning of Halloween and I still didn't have a costume. I stopped in at The Real Canadian Superstore, only to find that all Halloween costumes and accessories were ransacked. But I did manage to pick up a Heads Up Harry (life-size animated talking zombie figure) for half price... If I couldn't dress up, at least I could bring my buddy Harry, who was Halloween-ready.

Now it's lunch-time, and still no costume. I zipped out to the mall for lunch and hit Spencers Gifts. I was able to find a redneck baseball cap with long greasy curly locks attached (last one in the store), glass bottle glasses, and a set of hillbilly teeth. And luckily, I had a set of overalls from a cable company in the back of my car.

I was going to be some fictitious Billy "Cable Guy" Bob character, and no one in the office knew.

I secretly slipped into the costume. But at the same time, I slipped into the character behind the costume. I changed my stance, my walk, and my talk. Of course, the hillbilly teeth had a lot to do with the alteration of my speech, but my words were now from the mouth of Billy Bob.

Here's the before-and-after pics to show my usual office persona and my Halloween Billy Bob persona. Actually, the "before" pic was taken a couple of days ago, but I think you get the idea of the physical transformation. Uh, I'm the one on the left if you're wondering... and that's Heads Up Harry on the right (it looks like he's lost a bit of weight, and I've gained a bit).

Halloween - Before Halloween - After
(For larger view, click on above images)

A few people had a difficult time figuring out who I was (or even if I was supposed to be there), and I had a great time being someone else for the afternoon. I didn't let up... I stayed in character the entire event, until it was time to pull off the costume.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any video of my character from the event... that would have been ideal to show how I pulled it off.

So instead, I'm going to try and persuade my colleagues to leave comments about their point of view or experience. If you're curious, come back to this posting during this upcoming week to read the comments left by my colleagues.

7 comments:

Salem said...

I must say Mike, you had that accent perfected!! And with those glasses it was miracle that you didn't contently bump into furniture

Kim said...

Oh yes! Billy "Cable Guy" Bob. I remember it like yesterday and it still haunts me today! It was rather creepy not being able to first figure out who was behind the character. It would be at the tip of my tongue but yet I couldn't place my finger as to who could pull off such a character! Throughout the day Billy would invade your personal 'bubble'. And especially with those glasses, you could never tell if he was actually looking at you (in a creepy guy, stalker type of way). Though you could always sense the 'nice guy' in Billy.

I think at one point, I actually screeched a bit and ran away from him! But the best part was when the awards were being handed out. When he clumsily bumped into Tamara, the MC of the event.

It was definitely memorable! Great Job! haha.

Unknown said...

Great costume Mike but even better acting! You had me fooled buddy :)

Mona said...

You were too good!! When I first met Billy Bob I was absolutely horrified to see this creepy cable guy with the most lecherous smile, bad teeth, greasy hair and horrendous glasses. It was really hard to believe that it was actually you behind the disguise. So different from the clean and sober Mike we see every day. You had the creepy cable guy right down to the swagger and the licking of the lips while talking. The best part was that you stayed in character throughout the event and were in everyone’s face and being as creepy as you could. You were awesome!

David said...

Mike (?), you really have us fooled! I actually think that you are Billy Bob and that Mike is your alter-ego. Despite Billy Bob's...well...how can I say...mentally challenged and socially discombobulating persona he is indeed quite brilliant to be pulling off the Mike act so thoroughly and for so long. Regardless of which direction the alter-ego is truthfully, Billy Bob was a completely different character and - no offense intended - as a result I found him quite discomfitting to be around. Well done Billy Bob! ...errr...Mike...

Charlotte said...

MIke I remeber it like it was yesterday. I was backing away slowly. and you kept getting closer. I couldn't put my finger on who it could be under the costume. I know a few people were passing around idea of throwing you out! Until the truth was revieled. You played the part like a champ! I m not sure anyone could have held the character for as long as you did. The joke was on us when it turned out to be you. I m not sure any of us will be able to forget. Awsome JOB!

Tamara said...

I also remember this day quite well! It took a while to figure out who the new cute guy in the office was! LOL It was amazing how well you stayed in character for the whole day - your personality was totally different that you usually are!
You also managed to invade my personal space - which gave quite a laugh to all those in the office. :-)

Well done!