Sunday, April 19, 2009

Digressionally Creative

The work office can sometimes be a source of creative inspiration outside your normal work tasks. Those inspirations can come from something that somebody said or did, or your work environment, or a combination thereof, and possibly others.

The team of six software developers that I work with are situated in an interesting cubicle area that has 2 entrance ways... well, actually... more like one main entrance way and a second narrow escape alley.

Our team has gained a bit of a reputation... I'm not going to explain what that is, but it's not entirely my fault. However, that narrow escape alley can come in handy sometimes.

The contriver of puns that I am, I couldn't just say this pun... I had to spice up the cubicle space with a couple of signs... For some people, it might be a warning.

Borrowing a little alley humour from Harry Potter, I appropriately named the narrow alley "Digression Alley". The sign is situated outside the cubicle area as a bit of a warning for all those who enter.

Digression Alley 1

Digression Alley 2


Of course, the sign situated inside the cubicle area, as you head out through the narrow alley, is appropriately labelled "Regression Alley".

Regression Alley


Whatever magic is cast on you as you enter Digression Alley is respectfully removed as you leave through Regression Alley.

Did I mention that one particular task that software developers (or testers or the QA group) perform after programming changes have been completed for software is something called regression testing?

No comments: